Many applications, certainly Microsoft (tm) Office products and most assistive technology products work very well right "out of the box". But most of these products provide resources to customize many of the functions/features.
When used with most popular applications, JAWS® screen reading software provides you with screen information for the application you are using. The information that tells JAWS how to behave is contained within a set of “default files.” These default files, created by Freedom Scientific, are provided with JAWS. Unfortunately, not all applications are the same. Therefore, information telling JAWS how to behave in these applications is contained in a set of “application-specific files.” These files must be "customized" to provide the correct speech/Braille output.
The most powerful of the features--and most commonly used for proprietary workplace programs is Jaws scripting.
- Script files are small programs that provide Jaws the information it needs, and executes functions through hotkeys called by the end user.
- OSET maintains a large library of custom script files and help files that speeds the customization of many proprietary programs.
JAWS customization can provide blind employees:
- Overall accessibility in proprietary applications;
- Rapid access to specific information for improved productivity;
- End-user help systems designed specifically for the Jaws user. This reduces required training time and provides "always there", custom information for rarely-used functions/features.
Assistive Technology Hardware and Software
Most assistive technology products work well out of the box for general uses. These products frequently allow custom solutions to need a specific need. OSET specialist can help customize these products and train the end-user/support staff to maintain the customization. Of course, OSET also provides on-going technical support as needed.
Most productivity software products, such as Microsoft (tm) Office, offers advanced features which can improve accessibility and--more importantly--offer features which can improve productivity. OSET specialists can help design and train these features to end-users and/or support staff.
- Creating templates and form documents in products like Microsoft (tm) Word, provide professional-looking results with a minimum effort (and less time). Form templates and mail-merge documents can significantly increase your correspondence capabilities. Templates designed for blind users can allow them to perform functions that might otherwise be inaccessible.
- Many educators struggle with providing accessible information to students. OSET specialists can provide strategies and resources for making all of the instructional material accessible to the student. This eliminates the need for "readers" and fortifies the self-suffient learning opportunities for the student.
What We Can Do For You:
Our trained technicians can either customize your products or train your support staff to do the customization.
Next Step in the Rehab Engineering Process